Thursday, May 23, 2013

Today I wanted to talk about my experience with handling a foal. At my barn there is a foal named AK, and he is very strong and spirited. there are a few people at the barn who have realized just how strong this foal can be. He has drug someone threw the pasture before and got loose, lucky for us we were in the pasture before he decided to take off , and we had to chase him down which if you have been around a foal is almost impossible in a wide open area, however I was holding his mother still and he walked over to see her and I managed to grab him again.
Another time we had a costume party and he drug my friend down the hall, she managed to stay on her feet though, and with help of our teacher we calmed him down enough to get him outside where he continued to try to buck and get away. He almost knocked her over once because he jumped sideways and almost landed on her.
My point in this is foals can be very dangerous and difficult to work with. A baby however loves to be with its mother the same way a foal would want to be with theirs, so the foal wont go to far even if it does get away from you .
Thank you for reading . :)

No comments:

Post a Comment