Monday, May 13, 2013



My name is Kari and I am in equine science and management. I am in equine because I love horses and being in a barn environment. They are beautiful animals and I want to make this blog to help inform people of what happens in a barn and about horses in general.

Today I want to talk about safety of being around horses. Horses are dangerous animals and they can/will hurt you, so it is always good to know what to do.
·         Always approach a horse at the shoulder, it is most common, and safer to approach from their left shoulder because they are used to being worked with on the left side.
·         Always watch your feet around horses because they have four legs and are not always aware of where your feet are. If they step on you do not yank your foot out from under them push their shoulder or side until they step off, then more your foot out from under them.
·         Never stand directly behind a horse because that is their blind spot and if something spooks them they will kick.
·         Never stand directly in front of a horse because that is also a blind spot and they can strike out with their front hooves which are strong enough to cause serious injuries.

Well this is just some basic information for today I will have more tomorrow. Will answer Questions or consider comments!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment